Partner Visa


Prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) is a temporary visa valid for 9 months from the date it is issued .This visa allows you to enter Australia and marry your prospective fiancé in the 9 month period till valid. After the marriage you will be eligible to apply for a partner visa in Australia. The main purpose of this visa is to marry your intended spouse and live together as husband and wife.

The application has to be made outside Australia and you must be outside Australia when it is granted. It is a temporary visa granted for 9 months to get married. You can get married in any country and you do not have to get married in Australia.

To be eligible for this visa you and your partner (sponsor) should fulfill certain requirements:

  • You must be outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when the visa is issued.
  • Your partner must be either an Australian citizen
  • Both you and your fiancé must be aged 18 years or older to be able to legally marry according to Australian law
  • You must be of opposite sexes,
  • You must meet the general health and character requirements.
  • You must genuinely intend to marry your fiancé and live as husband and wife.

If you are granted this visa, you:

  • Must enter Australia at least once before marrying your fiancé.
  • Can leave and re-enter Australia for as many times as you want in the nine-month period while your visa is valid.
  • Can work and study in Australia.
  • Can apply for a Partner Visa once you and your fiancé are legally married.

If you are granted a Prospective Marriage Visa, your marriage can take place either in or outside Australia, as long as you have entered Australia at least once before the marriage takes place. In addition, your marriage must occur within the nine-month validity period of your Prospective Marriage visa. If as holder of a prospective visa you do not marry your intended spouse, the visa expires after nine months and you would be required to return to your country of origin.